Help: Secondary for dynamically addressed primary (missing feature in bind8?)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Mar 2 00:47:27 UTC 2001

Andreas Oesterhelt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> ..my setup is that I have the primary server for a domain
> on a machine with dynamically assigned (external) IP address
> and need to set up a secondary NS for that domain somewhere else.
> The master's IP address changes every once in 24h, but it has
> a constant DNS name, thanks to the brilliant people at dyndns.org.
>
> As bind8 requires an IP address rather than an FQDN in the
> masters{}-List for slave zones, I see no way to tell the
> secondary to refer to its master by name.
>
> Does this mean that it is generally not possible with bind8 to
> set up a secondary NS for a dynamically addressed primary?

Correct. I'm sure at least part of the reason for using IP addresses
instead of names is to avoid a "chicken-and-egg" situation, where the
name of the master is *in* the zone -- in that case the slave may become
permanently unable to find the master if its address changes. (Before
anyone pipes up about "glue records", remember than not all zones are
delegated. In any case, even aside from the "glue record" case, you
could have multiple slave zones, delegated from different TLD's, say,
where the masters' names are in each other's zones, and still get
deadlocked if they *all* change within the refresh interval.)

- Kevin