MX Record/DNS help needed

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Sat Jun 30 01:17:38 UTC 2001

At 10:53 AM -0700 6/29/01, BCC wrote:

>  Sorry this may be an ignorant question, but why do I want to set up my own
>  nameserver at all?  The ISP we colocate with provides 2 dedicated
>  nameservers...?

	What role do those machines actually perform?  Are they
caching/recursive-only?  If so, then your machines can use them to
resolve queries, but then you wouldn't have a nameserver anywhere to
act as your authoritative primary nameserver.  You still need a
machine (or two) to perform that role.

>  Does the machine have to be set up as a nameserver to use named
>  services?

	Nope.

>             Like MX records?

	It doesn't matter what the services are that it needs.  Any
machine can be a client of a nameserver, and does not necessarily
need to be running a local nameserver to do that.

>  Can I just set the machine up to forward email (after learning how to
>  set up the proper configuration!), and use the default cts nameservers?

	You could, but you still need to have a machine somewhere to
provide the answers to the information about your zone.  Otherwise,
you've got a co-location, but no one will know where to find you
because you don't have any nameservers registered.

	Keep in mind that you should still separate the web and mail
servers onto separate machines, even if you don't end up needing to
run your own nameserver(s).

>  I agree wholeheartedly... but after a small amount of prodding, it
>doesnt seem
>  there is money for a new machine in the budget.

	Why doesn't this surprise me?  It probably costs you more in
terms of hours lost fixing machines that shouldn't have been set up
insecurely (and running too many services) in the first place, than
it would to buy several extra machines.

	There's never money to do it right, but always money to do it
again ... and again ... and again ... and again.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */