dns not resolving

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jun 28 20:55:40 UTC 2001

JCM wrote:

> Kevin answered :
> > Sounds like your OS is not configured to use DNS for name resolution. Since
> > you haven't given us any idea what OS this is, one can only speculate how
> > you could verify and/or correct this...
>
> It's SuSE 6.4, with some versions manually updated.
> Using 'Netscape' I meant the browser...
> And I can add that every computer in the LAN (6 boxes) is configured
> with dns server being
> my Linux box, and resolves every name perfectly, for the intranet fake
> domain name as
> for the rest of the world.
> So my dns config seems to work for everybody except for localhost.

Which seems to confirm that it's just a problem with your OS and/or resolver
configuration. I don't know very much about SuSE; perhaps you could ask a
SuSE list about how to configure the box to use DNS for name resolution, or
troubleshoot why it might not be doing so.

> Barry added :
> > Are you running Solaris?  It doesn't use DNS by default, you have to add
> > "dns" to the "hosts" line in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
>
> No I am on Linux, and my line 'hosts' in /etc/nsswitch.conf has both
> 'files' and 'dns'.
>
> When I type 'lynx http://localhost/' I get our intranet;
> but when I type 'lynx http://www.ourintranet.net/' I get 'Can't access
> start file'.

I'm not very familiar with Lynx either, but "Can't access start file" doesn't
really sound much like a DNS problem...

- Kevin