Cisco Routers, NAT and DNS...

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 12:37:13 UTC 2001

"Pelletier, Michael" wrote:

> I have recently discovered that the Cisco routers, when natting, will mess
> with a DNS query, coming inside to my DNS server. Has anyone else
> experienced this? Does anyone else know of a fix?

At a guess you have got the DNS Application Level Gateway
enabled.

I've attempted a simple explanation of the DNS ALG, as the
Cisco docs are rather heavy.

http://www.wretched.demon.co.uk/eighth/knowledge/dnsalg.htm

The link is stale, so try here for Cisco's information.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/ioft/ionetn/tech/emios_wp.htm

Afraid I'm not into IOS to the level of knowing how to
switch it on/off, but this should be enough to tell if this
is the problem, and point you in the right direction I hope.

	Simon
--
Simon Waters
Are you using the Internet to best effect ?