failing lookups

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jun 26 21:46:29 UTC 2001

Offhand, I can think of only 2 reasons why named wouldn't failover to the other nameserver:

1) It's configured to forward with "forward only" and only 1 of the nameserver addresses specified

2) It got a bad response from the other nameserver recently, so it's marked it as "lame" and won't use it for a while.

Of course, this is all assuming that the two nameservers you identified are actually the nameservers published in the NS records of the zone. If the zone is delegated to 2 nameservers, but only 1 of them is published in the zone's NS records, then the zone's NS records, being more "credible" than the delegation records, will be what named uses
to resolve names in the zone. Which might explain why the other, unpublished nameserver is being ignored.

If you had told us the real name of the domain, then I could have checked out this last possibility myself, instead of having to speculate blindly. It's very annoying when people "genericize" or "anonymize" the names of Internet domains that they're having trouble with. It serves no useful purpose and just makes troubleshooting more difficult.

                                                                                                                                        - Kevin