2.4 kernel and bind 8.2.3 - REL.

paul j paul at netpacq.com
Mon Jun 25 01:07:01 UTC 2001

Total of 5,000 primary domains, and one server backing all 5,000 domains up..

Total of 3 name servers, that I was hopping to speed-up with the new kernel...
I am still reading on bind 9.x.x.... whay will they not leave the format
ALONE!!!?....
Pain in my ass to have to rebuild all my domains, every time we upgrade our
bind version.... so much work I don't like doing it very much..

If they are going to add features, why must they make such RADICAL
changes...Ooh, that's right no one can agree on a standard in *nix, and if
someone try's they get shoot down with "You are taking away our freedom to
code how we want"....

Can't we all just get ALONG??

At 02:00 PM 6/24/2001, you wrote:

>At 9:25 AM -0700 6/24/01, paul j wrote:
>
> >>How big of a zone are you running?
> >
> >  Lets see..... I have over 3,500 names in one of my name servers.
>
>         My former employer (the largest ISP in Belgium) had over 7000
>zones that they were supporting on their nameservers, and most zones
>had more than one name (some had many more than one name).  So, while
>3500 names may be considerably larger than many sites, it's not
>really all that large.  As another data point, the "small" zone
>benchmarks that Matt Simerson has been doing are based on having more
>than 65,000 names in a single zone.
>
> >>    How heavily used is this name server?
> >
> >  Very heavily...
>
>         Please define this term.  How many queries per second are you seeing?
>
>--
>Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles at skynet.be>
>
>/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */
>/*       Represented as 1045 digit prime number by Phil Carmody         */
>/*     Prime as DNS cname chain by Roy Arends and Walter Belgers        */
>/*     Usage is:  cat title-key scrambled.vob | efdtt >clear.vob        */
>/*   where title-key = "153 2 8 105 225" or other similar 5-byte key    */
>
>dig decss.friet.org|perl -ne'if(/^x/){s/[x.]//g;print pack(H124,$_)}'

Best regards,
Paul Jacobs /Senior Network Eng.
Netpacq Systems Inc.
http://www.netpacq.com