Ques on SOA rec

Eric N. Moyer EMoyer at LibraryTech.Com
Tue Jun 19 13:47:47 UTC 2001

In Chap 4 of the Cricket book it says, "Our name server is authoritative
for the zone movie.edu because of the SOA record."  What confuses me is, a
NON-authoritative server wouldn't have the file db.movie.edu anyway, would
it?  So, are there some ways a name server can't distinguish between data
it read on startup and data it cached from another server?  (It is the
presence of an SOA rec in the data that tells a server it is authoritative
for a given zone, and not the fact that the data was read from local
files?)  I am just trying to make sure I understand how the system works.
Thanks.  -Eric

Regards,

Eric Moyer (EMoyer at LibraryTech.com)
Library Technologies, Inc.