Does bind 9 support regular expression in RR ?

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Mon Jun 18 03:08:07 UTC 2001

% My aim use of DNS is for private VOIP host name lookup , and this DNS is never
% expose to internet .
%
% For example , if people dial any destination number range from 99961  to 99965
% , the voip gateway will send IP packets to destination gateway of 192.168.1.1 .
% Other than above mentioned dial string will sent IP packets to destination
% gateway of 10.10.10.1
%
% In a silly question , can I configure DNS host name in this way  ?
%
% 9996[1-5]+     IN     A    192.168.1.1
% 9996[^1-5]+     IN    A    10.10.10.1

	BIND will let you do that. But you may not get what you
	want.  Better to look into either the TPC.INT structure
	or the stuff coming out of enum to see how the telephony
	industry is considering adopting DNS technologies.

--bill