"named.ca" not found

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Fri Jun 15 21:03:47 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 09:10:09PM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 7:15 PM +0200 6/15/01, Len Conrad wrote:

> >  dig @a.root-servers.net . ns > named.ca

> 	You should *NEVER* do this, without first checking the output
> from the "dig" command.  If the results were somehow munged and you
> over-wrote your named.ca file, you would be well and truly hosed.

	I think the implications here was that there was none to
begin with.  But you are sort of right.  I would not do this in the
same directory that bind was working in.  Do it in another directory,
verify the file, and then move it into place.  Otherwise, how would
you know if you "first checking the output from the "dig" command" was
fine and the second one failed (due to network conditions or whatever).

  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/