bind problems (2)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jun 15 21:05:47 UTC 2001

Bill Omer wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am very new to bind, so please bare with me.
>
> I took a list of user names, pasted that list as hosts in my
> domain.com.hosts files
> for example:
>
> super   IN      A       216.7.148.152
> superchief      IN      A       216.7.148.152
> superflash      IN      A       216.7.148.152
>
> Close to 5 thousand hosts in this file.  Here's the problem I have.  Some
> hosts will resolve, others wont.
>
> For example:
>
> super.psend.com does
> superchief.psend.com does NOT
> superflash.psend.com does
>
> There arn't any differences between the listings, and I'm not sure what is
> causing this.
>
> I generated the list with the follow script:
>
> ls -al | awk {'print $9'} >thebiglist
> for name in `cat thebiglist`
> do
> if [ -s $name/index.html ]
> then
> echo -e "$name\tIN\tA\t216.7.148.152" >>/var/named/psend.com.hosts
> fi
> done

Um, why are you doing an "ls -al"? Do you want to include filenames which
start with a dot? It's gonna cause a *big* problem if you shove lines
beginning with a dot into your zonefile.

(A minor nit: If in fact you don't need the "-a" option to "ls", why don't
you just use "for i in *" for your main loop?).

If named had a problem loading the zone (which I think is likely), there
should have been log messages indicating what the error was, probably even
including the line number(s) where the error(s) occurred.

> I then created a VirtualHost listing for each name in the apache
> configuration.
>
> An other problem I'm having is with the domain name boatdreams.com.  It
> will not resolve at all.  The boatdreams.com.hosts file is as follows:
>
> $ttl 38400
> boatdreams.com.     IN      SOA     ns1.psend.com. support.psend.com.
>                         961112136
>                         7200
>                         3600
>                         432000
>                         38400 )
> boatdreams.com.     IN      NS      ns1.domaindistributor.com.
> boatdreams.com.     IN      NS      ns2.domaindistributor.com.
> boatdreams.com.     IN      NS      ns1.psend.com.
> boatdreams.com.     IN      NS      ns2.psend.com.
> boatdreams.com.     IN      MX      0 mx0
> boatdreams.com.     IN      MX      5 mx1
> boatdreams.com.     IN      A       216.7.148.152
>
> www     IN      CNAME boatdreams.com.
> ftp     IN      CNAME boatdreams.com.
> pop     IN      CNAME boatdreams.com.
> mail    IN      CNAME boatdreams.com.
> mx0     IN      CNAME boatdreams.com.
> mx1     IN      CNAME boatdreams.com.
>
> Is the syntax incorrect?  I'm not sure what the problem could be at a...

CNAMEs are illegal as MX targets. Depending on how picky your version of
BIND is (you didn't say what version you're running), this might have caused
the zone to not load properly. This is consistent with the fact that
ns1.psend.com returns SERVFAIL for queries of the zone.

Also, just out of curiosity, why would you want to list a backup MX which
ultimately resolves to the same address as the primary MX?

- Kevin