Notify not having effect

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Tue Jun 12 20:28:00 UTC 2001

>I have a master and a slave. The master is setup with option notify yes

that´s the default behaviour, no need to specify it.

>  and
>also-notify contains the IP of the slave.

if the slave is listed in the zone´s NS records, no need for also-notify.

>The slave does receive the notify message but fails to update the zone
>right away.

"right away" ? but it does eventually transfer the zone or not?

is the master answering authoritatively for the zone? if not, no axfr.

can you manually transfer? on the slave:

dig @master zone.com axfr

>  Any idea why it's not
>getting updated? Is there some option I need to set in the slave option
>field to tell it to listen to notifys?

no.  in the zone statement, indicate the

masters {ip_adress;};

correctly.

turn on logging on both machines and see what the complaints are.  I use this:

logging{
channel my_file {file "/var/log/named.run"; severity debug; print-time yes; };
category default {my_file;};
category panic {my_file;};
category packet {my_file;};
category eventlib {my_file;};