How good is BIND?

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Sat Jun 9 16:00:59 UTC 2001

%
% I've been using bind for like 6 years now and I've had no
% problems with it.  Until recently I didn't even know there
% was another DNS server for UNIX.  djbdns claims that bind
% is just too buggy to use.  I know that there have been
% some major bugs found in bind in the past, but what do
% people think of the current version of bind?  If given the
% oportunity, would people use bind in a root server?

	BIND is used in the Internet root servers
	and has for many years. Based on our tests,
	djbdns has some performance implications that
	preclude its consideration for the task.

	There are at least 3 other commercial DNS
	implementations that are not BIND based that
	run under UNIX. Some of these do not have the
	performance issues that djbdns has.

%
% I'm just looking for people's opinion.  Thanks.
%
% -Dave
%
%