Newbie: Static DNS in syncro with Dynamic!

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jun 6 20:51:15 UTC 2001

Caris Ruben wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> that's my problem.
>
> In my firm I have a network with a Static Primary DNS (and secondary) with
> no DHCP.
> In every branch office I have a Primary DNS that syncro itself with the
> Static Primary.
>
> I want to implement a DHCP and a DDNS in the main Office.
>
> Should I create a New Zone, transfer It from Primary and replicate it to
> every branch office?

If DHCP/DDNS is going to cause the zone(s) to change very frequently, then
you may want to reconsider your master/slave arrangements and/or the
structure of your namespace. Replicating a large zone frequently over slow
links could be painful. Depending on your redundancy requirements, the
reliability of the branch-office links, etc., you may wish to convert those
zones from slave to stub.

> Should I create a DDNS in every branch Office??

For what purpose?

- Kevin