Simple problem is search of a simple solution

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at monkeys.com
Wed Jun 6 20:05:43 UTC 2001

Given a set of name servers, A, B, C, and D, all running BIND 8.2.x,
and given that server A is generally used as the master for all of
the zones that these servers are authoritative for, and given that
B, C, and D are generally used as slaves for all such zones, is there
any way to add a brand new zone to A in a way that makes it unnecessary
to also go around and also manually diddle all of the /etc/named.conf
files on all of the other servers, B, C, and D?

I am in a situation where I am going to be adding LOTS of authoritative
zones to A, and to the /etc/named.conf file of A, and I really don't
want to have to go around to all of the other (slave) servers each time
I add such a (new) zone and manually edit all of THEIR /etc/named.conf
files also.

Surely I'm not the first person to have mentioned this as a problem, right?

Surely someone must have solved this problem by now, right?

If someone would be kind enough to point me at the solution, I would
greatly appreciate it.

P.S.  Getting the new hunks of /etc/named.conf stuff distributed out to
the various slave name servers is only half the battle here.  Each of
those servers also have to be (automagically) reloaded after it has
received the new hunk of /etc/named.conf stuff.

I kinda wish that there were something like `NOTIFY' that would handle
all of this, including retries (where necessary) encryption, validation,
etc., etc.