Automatic Secondary NS

Owen McShane omcshane at vianetworks.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 14:12:14 UTC 2001

agologan at gmx.mis.de said:
> Is there a way to make a Nameserver an "automatic" secondary of another
> Nameserver ?
> This means I should only have to add new  records on the primary and the
> secondary should automatically read in all domains found on the primary,
> without me having to write them in as slaves ?

It's a big if, but if you have two name servers, and one is master for all your domains, and the other is slave, it would be quite easy to write a script to copy over the named.conf from the master to the slave, and rewrite it so as to be appropriate for the slave.

You could then automate this on a cron, in conjunction with reloading named.

Owen

--
 U-NET Ltd, a Via Net.Works Company
 Local Touch Global Reach