(no subject)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 4 21:57:33 UTC 2001

clyon at hns.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently upgraded our dns from BIND 4 to BIND 8.2.3.  Since then, a small
> percentage of several of our client systems (NT, WIn 95 and WIN 98), when using
> short names, seem to have lost there abiliity to utilize their Domain Suffix
> Search capability.   nslookup on the client systems works fine.  Any help is
> appreciated.

The "search" function of DNS is implemented in the client not the server, so
I can't think of any reason why the behavior would have changed due to a server
upgrade. The glib answer is that, since nslookup works fine, it's not a BIND
problem but rather a Wintel problem, and you should ask a Wintel group about it.
Sorry, I have no other ideas...

- Kevin