Maybe a delegation problem ?

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Mon Jun 4 18:19:47 UTC 2001

At 3:39 PM +0100 6/4/01, Simon wrote:

>  Now, this seems to fit in with problems that are resolved by my upstream
>  provider providing "delegation", but I'm not sure what that means!

	Yup, it's a delegation problem.

>  Since we've taken over primary DNS (we change the names a lot, and they
>  were a bit slow) does that mean we have to do this delegation, or can I
>  just email L3 and get them to delegate the section of the in-addr.arpa
>  domain within 212.187.154.131/25 to mx.red.co.uk ?

	When you took over primary nameservice for your domain, you had
to contact the registration authority to get them to change the
delegation to your nameservers.  Now, you need to contact the company
that issued you that network address space (presumably L3) and get
them to delegate to you the authority for serving reverse DNS for
your IP addresses.

	See RFC 2317 at <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2317.html>, and
search the archive for this mailing list for details.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */