Can Find Name Servers, but Can't Get result

Roy Rapoport rsr at aegsys.com
Fri Jun 1 22:10:32 UTC 2001

On my client machine (running BIND 8.2.3, pointing to itself as the first
nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf), trying to retrieve the IP address for
www.ameritrade.com, I get Non/existent host/domain.  However, I can easily
query for the nameservers for this domain and, when I query them from this
machine, I get the correct IP address for this host.   I've read the BIND
FAQ to no avail.

How the heck do I debug this? How is it that I can find the authoritative
NS's, they know the IP, but I can't get the IP?

-roy