Migrating to 8.2.3-REL (log message changes; gotchas; etc.)

James Raftery james-bind-users at now.ie
Wed Jan 31 10:29:49 UTC 2001

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 01:56:31PM -0500, O'Neil,Kevin wrote:
> ************************ GOTCHA **************************
>
> 924.	[port]	sunos solaris: #define NEED_SECURE_DIRECTORY to
> 			secure the directory containing unix domain socket
> 			rather than the socket itself.

To elaborate on that a bit; I sent the message below to the list on
Monday evening but it doesn't seem to have been distributed. Anyways...

Subject: BIND 8.2.3 gotcha for Solaris/SunOS

Entry 924 from CHANGES says:
"sunos solaris: #define NEED_SECURE_DIRECTORY to secure the
directory containing unix domain socket rather than the socket itself"

This is defined out-of-the-box, so named 8.2.3 may changes the modes of
the directory in which your control socket is located. This bit me,
changing /usr/local/etc to 0600!

You have some choices:
- change the 'perm' value in your controls statement to the modes you
  want applied to the directory.
- use a different directory whose modes don't affect anything else.
- remove the #define from port/(solaris|sunos)/include/port_after.h
  before compiling.

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "It's somewhere in the Red Hat district"  --  A network engineer's