Bind 9.1 status / update

Willis L. Sarka wlsarka at the-republic.org
Tue Jan 30 22:15:05 UTC 2001

It works!

I recently sent a report of not being to do name lookups on the same
machine running Bind 9.1.  I tested on another machine _without_ a chroot
environment, and the darn thing works.  I went back to the original
machine, edited the named.conf slightly, and started named without the
"-t" option, and I can now do name lookups on the local machine.

Although I'm sure Bind 9.x is better in terms of security, I still don't
trust it enough  _not_ to run it in a chroot environment.

So, it seems that using the chroot option with Bind 9.1 was restricting
name lookups on the local machine for some reason (at least for me).

If anyone would care to comment, why this is, or if my configuration was
somehow wrong, please do so.

Thanks,
Will Sarka

Those, who would give up essential liberty to
purchase a little temporary safety, deserve
neither liberty nor safety.

-Ben Franklin
Historical Review of Constitution and
Government of Pennsylvania