Bind 9.1.0 won't read my named.conf

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Jan 30 16:46:20 UTC 2001

    Steven> I've just tried to upgrade to bind.9.1.0 from 8.2.2-P5 for
    Steven> security reasons, when I try to start named I get

    Steven> messages: loading configuration from '/etc/named.conf'

    Steven> syslog: loading configuration: failure exiting (due to
    Steven> fatal error)

    Steven> HELP! How do I get named to tell me where and what the
    Steven> problem is with my named.conf file!

Well it would have helped if you'd shown the actual messages from the
name server logs. There will have been an earlier message indicating
what the fatal error was: probably a syntax error in named.conf or a
zone file. The named-checkconf and named-checkzone tools in 9.1 can be
used to check these things respectively. Take a look at the migration
notes in doc/misc in the BIND9 source tree. The info there might help
you identify the problem.