8.2.2 -> 8.2.3 Zone File Problems

James Snow snow at teardrop.org
Mon Jan 29 20:12:32 UTC 2001

from 8.2.2 (p5, I think) to 8.2.3 and my zone files were all rejected.

The cause of this was the positioning of the leading parenthesis after
the SOA line. For example:

	@ IN SOA ns.domain.com. snow.domain.com.
	(    2001012901
		 ... )

This was rejected. I had to move the leading parenthesis up one line to
get them working again:

	@ IN SOA ns.domain.com. snow.domain.com. (
		2001012901
		... )

I don't have a preference for either one but I am curious to know if
there is a reason for this. (Other than just an oddity in parsing the
zone file.)

I have relatively few zone files to deal with so this was trivial to fix
by hand. If you have more than a few you'll probably want to script a
fix for this before you update.

-Snow