SOA and Primary server ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Jan 27 00:29:00 UTC 2001

The server name in the SOA has nothing to do with how other nameservers
resolve names in that zone. All that matters for that purpose are the
NS records for the zone. As long as you haveboth servers listed in the
NS records for the zone, all other nameservers are able to resolve names
in your domain by asking the slave server, assuming they can talk to it.
In fact, if your slave server consistently answers queries more quickly
than your master, most nameservers were probably already using your
slave most of the time anyway.

- Kevin