Rookie Question

Peter Rose peter.rose1 at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 24 17:55:30 UTC 2001

I hope I'm not being dense, but is your friend running his own DNS on an
internal home network only, or has he got IP's allocated from his ISP?

If not, that's the first thing you need!

Otherwise, if he has a fixed ip and domain name, then of course all he
needs to do is modify the dns entry with whoever his registrar is
(Network Solutions etc) to point to his own dns and not the current dns
provider.

Peter Rose
London UK

In message <3a6e7832.8567039 at news.powersurfr.com>, BL
<dwilliam44 at yahoo.com> writes
>My friend has his own DNS running at home, he was told that the last
>step was to register his DNS so the "root" servers "see" his machine.
>He/We have tried to find info on the net on how to go about
>"registering" his DNS server so that it is operational on the
>"internet".
>
>I hope this is enough info for someone to help.
>
>Thanks
>
>BL

Cyberscreen Internet Services.
25, Oak Hill,