Multihomed addresses

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Jan 24 16:48:19 UTC 2001

In article <94ltv5$e41 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, BruceO <ordway at uswest.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>I have a Linux box with three nics that I use as a firewall.
>I haven't previously needed DNS set up locally, but now I do.
>
>In linuxconf the nics are:
>
>eth0 main.bordway.org 10.0.0.1
>eth1 sub1.bordway.org 172.16.1.1
>eth2 sub2.bordway.org 192.168.1.1
>
>I started to put addresses into my db files & my brain locked up.
>Any examples of zone files with entries for multihomed boxes?

I'm not sure what the problem is.  The db file should look like:

main IN A 10.0.0.1
sub1 IN A 172.16.1.1
sub2 IN A 192.168.1.1

If you also want to be able to refer to all the addresses using a single
name, add:

common IN A 10.0.0.1
       IN A 172.16.1.1
       IN A 192.168.1.1

The reverse domains for the subnets should probably just contain the unique
names, not the shared name.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA