Resolving names that are not FQDN

James Raftery james-bind-users at now.ie
Wed Jan 24 16:20:47 UTC 2001

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 12:51:47PM +0000, Peter Sima wrote:
> does a BIND server resolve names/requests for names without a domain
> attached to it? Like:
> Jan 24 13:22:28 zerberus named[24227]: XX+/127.0.0.1/firefly/A/IN
> With the FQDN, it works; but it seems to me as if names without domains
> can't be resolved by the name server, right?

A name is a name. The nameserver will resolve it. What else would it
with it? It just happens that there is no entry in the DNS
called "firefly".

Consider the nameservers for COM. They receive hundreds of thousands of
queries for 'COM'. That resolves.

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "It's somewhere in the Red Hat district"  --  A network engineer's