nslookup fails after a time

Veatch, David David.Veatch at eScout.com
Tue Jan 23 19:53:15 UTC 2001

> Often this is due to problems with NS records for the domain.
>  If you said
> what domain it is, maybe we could tell what's wrong.

If done some digging (using, appropriately enough, dig), and I think it is
something on their end...  I'm not terribly comfortable with dig, so I'm not
sure what would matter and what wouldn't.

ourtownusa.net is the domain in question...

They have four registered name servers:
   NS1.OURTOWNUSA.NET           198.243.53.2
   NS2.OURTOWNUSA.NET           198.243.53.7
   NS1.QWEST.NET                216.111.65.217
   NS2.QWEST.NET                205.171.16.250

I'd give the results of my digs, but they're inconsistent.  Sometimes a
given request against a given name server works, other times it doesn't.
The same results are had from different servers on different networks, both
internal and external.

That tells me the problem is on their end.  However, it doesn't tell me why
one of my boxes (internal, doesn't get any external hits to it, ever) ALWAYS
works, and the other (external, is hit from various places for various
reasons) is inconsistent.