A question about name lookups

Sumit Mehrotra sumit at cs.bu.edu
Sat Jan 20 23:39:13 UTC 2001

Hi

I am not sure whether this is a question for this forum. Apologies, if it is not. Here goes :

I am running an Authoritative DNS (BIND 8.2.2 P7) for a domain name, which consits of  a host, basically, with a webserver running on it.

Usually what happens ( as expected) is that I get a hit on the Name Server for the www name, and immediately I get hits on the webserver ( apparently for clients who requested the namelookup just now).

But...sometimes, there is a hit on the nameserver ( and I am talking about hits for www name lookups, not MX queries), but no hit on the webserver. Could someone give me an idea, what could be the reason for it?

(By 'hits' I mean the logging messages I get when there is request)

Thanks!

- Sumit