Request for Experience: using Bind as primary in Active Directory environment

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jan 17 03:26:04 UTC 2001

We have just a _tad_ more than 1000 users :-), but so far AD is only in test
mode here. So far, we haven't noticed any significant problems with the
AD/BIND integration. We're using *weak* (IP-address-based) authentication of
course. Seems to me your management should be more concerned with the hard
decision of whether strong authentication is a requirement (since Win2K and
BIND don't agree on how to implement strongly-authenticated Dynamic Updates),
rather than whether BIND scales. Obviously BIND scales, and the Dynamic Updates
coming from Win2K aren't any different, from BIND's perspective, than Dynamic
Updates coming from any other application program or piece of infrastructure. As
for whether Microsoft's DNS implementation scales as well as BIND, well I have
no idea...

- Kevin