Linking Linux workstation to the net via Win98 Cable Server - Name Server Errors

Adrian Stovall AdrianS at pfk.com
Tue Jan 16 16:33:30 UTC 2001

you need to edit two files, /etc/resolv.conf, and /etc/nsswitch.conf

in /etc/nsswitch.conf, change the line that begins with "hosts" to read
"hosts    files dns" (it should already say "hosts    files")
in /etc/resolv.conf (which may or may not exist) add a line at the beginning
that says "nameserver ip.address.of_your.DNS_server" (replacing the second
half of the line with the IP address of a DNS server.  That's about it.