Reverse Lookup Query...

Wallingford, Ron Ron.Wallingford at genosys.net
Tue Jan 16 11:29:49 UTC 2001

All,

I am a newbie, so I shall try not to take anything for granted. :)

My server's name is GELNN1SS006 and its IP address is 212.161.103.238.
Domain is (genosys-europe.net)

I have installed Bind 8.2.2 on Solaris.  I have no appreciable errors in the
syslog.  I can (from my dns server) do a SUCCESSFUL nslookup of say,
www.cisco.com <http://www.cisco.com> , however my ADDRESS of my
localhost/Name server is 0.0.0.0.  See below in Figure 1.
************************************
*** Figure 1. - Nslookup from DNS server
************************************
$ nslookup  <http://www.cisco.com/> www.cisco.com
Server:  gelnn1ss006
Address:  0.0.0.0

Name:     <http://www.cisco.com/> www.cisco.com
Address:  198.133.219.25
************************************
??? Can anyone give me a hint as to why ???

ALSO
I put a test workstation on the same subnet and pointed its DNS entry to my
new Bind DNS.  A lookup on the workstation to the outside world resolved OK,
however the DNS server's name was UNKNOWN.  See below in Figure 2.

************************************
*** Figure 2.- Nslookup from Workstation
************************************
C:\>nslookup www.cisco.com <http://www.cisco.com>
Cant't find server name for address 212.161.103.238: Non-existent domain
Default servers are not available
Server:  Unknown
Address:  212.161.103.238

Name:    www.cisco.com <http://www.cisco.com>
Address:  198.133.219.25

My setup guide is the O'Reily "DNS and BIND" book.

Many thanks if anyone can assist.
Cheers,
Ron Wallingford
Infrastructure Consultant
Genosys Technology Management
+44 (0)20 7547 3864
"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."