forwarder question..

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jan 11 15:03:16 UTC 2001

In article <93kdng$cbb at pub3.rc.vix.com>, simmen : <simmen at hotmail.com> wrote:

>hello all.
>i am running bind 8.2.2 p-5 on linux red hat..
>can i have my primary as  a forwarder..i.e
>//named.conf
>options {
>  forwarders {...}
>           )
>and the master zones r configured as master..i.e,
>  zone "xxx.xxx"{
>        type master;
>        }
>1. what effect will that have on the DNS ?

If the server receives a query for a name not in one of the master zones,
and the answer isn't already in its cache, it will forward it.

>2. what effects will it have on the athoritaitive zones ?

No effect.

>3. how will be non-cached queries be replied..will they be directed to
>   the TLD's or to the forwarders..?

To the forwarders.  If the forwarders don't respond, and you don't have
"forward only" in the options, it will then direct them to the TLD servers.

>4. Will the forwarders work...i.e .insted of having the forwarder zone
>   i am having zone type as master.

I don't understand this question.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA