Reverse Lookup Bind 9

Ruben I Safir - Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Wed Jan 10 14:22:09 UTC 2001

Hello

We have bind 9 on a Red Hat box doing DNS for a LAN on the 192.168 subnet and
a real IP address for the RH box which  is a mail gateway.

I seem to be having a few nagging problems relating to DNS.

One is that NSLOOKUP is not seeing the named server on it's own box.
It's definetely there and running and it works if I set the server
to the box
nslookup
server mail.rm-cpa.com

otherwise:

*** Can't find server name for address 216.112.229.114: Non-existent
host/domain
Server:  hudson.concentric.net
Address:  207.155.183.72

And logs on other machines have problems with reverse DNS of the 192.168
subnet.  That would make it seem that the darn named is not being seen!!

/etc/resolv.conf has the rignt nameserver
domain rm-cpa.com
search rm-cpa.com
nameserver 216.112.229.114
nameserver 207.155.183.72
nameserver 206.173.119.72

*** hudson.concentric.net can't find 192.168.0.106: Non-existent host/domain
TTL 86400;
@       IN      SOA     mail.rm-cpa.com. root.mail.rm-cpa.com.  (
                2       ;Serial
                43200   ;Refresh in 12 Hours
                3600    ; Retry in One Hour
                2419200 ; Expire in 28 days
                86400 ) ; TTL

$ORIGIN 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa

        IN      NS      mail.rm-cpa.com.
        IN      NS      home.rm-cpa.com.

100     IN      PTR     home.rm-cpa.com.
101     IN      PTR     station1.rm-cpa.com.
102     IN      PTR     station2.rm-cpa.com.

and
TTL 86400;
@      IN      SOA     mail.rm-cpa.com. root.rm-cpa.com.  (
                5       ;Serial
                43200   ;Refresh in 12 Hours
                3600    ; Retry in One Hour
                2419200 ; Expire in 28 days
                86400 ) ; TTL

$ORIGIN 229.112.216.in-addr.arpa

        IN      NS      mail.rm-cpa.com.

114     IN      PTR     mail.rm-cpa.com.

Mail is being received ok - but the windows mail clients can't get mail out.
I thnk this is all realted to the same problem.

Ruben
--
Brooklyn Linux Solutions
http://www.mrbrklyn.com