SMTP on port other than 25 through DNS???

Jeffrey C. Albro jeff at velvet.antistatic.com
Tue Jan 9 17:10:34 UTC 2001

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Barry Margolin wrote:

> The claim is that they do it to prevent their customers from being used as
> spam relays, not to prevent the customers from sending their own spam.

Yes, but I think something less draconian could be done.  Such as only
opening it by request, or even better, only closing it for open relays.

> >is force people who want to control their e-mail on their own computer to
> >pay extra.  It is extorsion, nothing more, nothing less.
>
> Since most ISPs don't charge extra for use of their POP service, I don't
> understand this.

I don't WANT an isp mail address.  If my ISP pisses me off, or dumps me I
have to change addresses.  I have an independent adddress that won't
change.  Being forced to rely on an ISP for services is dangerous,
especially if you do politically sensitive work. You'll also note that
some ISP's think you should have a business account in order to run ssh.
If my ISP ever enforces any of this baloney I will have to dump them.

ISP's filter traffic to control you.  I don't want to be controlled.  Yes
there are sometimes good reasons, such as blocking relays, but I always
question censorship, especially when you have to pay extra to get out of
a "feature" you didn't want in the first place.

 -Jeff

barmar at genuity.net > Genuity, Burlington, MA