multiple-cnames support in 8.2.2-P5

ray at doubleclick.net ray at doubleclick.net
Thu Jan 4 01:26:15 UTC 2001

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> Whether multiple-cnames is "evil" or not is basically irrelevant.
> The functionality simply isn't supported by later versions of
> BIND, so you need to find alternatives.

Well, I use multiple-CNAME exactly to support "weighting" in some
situations (yes, better to use a load-balancer to do this but as a
backup to software or hardware load-balancing, the weighted method
is pretty useful):

www	IN	CNAME	www1
www	IN	CNAME	www2
www	IN	CNAME	www3

www1	IN	A	192.168.1.10
www2	IN	A	192.168.2.20
www3	IN	A	192.168.2.20

Above would result in 2x the traffic (or 66%) going to 192.168.2.20,
and 1x traffic (33%) directed to 192.168.1.10. We could change the
RRset ordering in named.conf from round-robin to random also ...

Is this support ("multiple-cnames yes" in named.conf options section)
retained in BIND 8.2.2-P7 or 8.2.3-P* ???

--
Ray