TXT record

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jan 3 22:13:52 UTC 2001

Bill Manning wrote:

> %
> % On Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:19:16 -0500, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> %
> % >So if you're considering using TXT fields as a
> % >kind of "meta-database" within the DNS database, I'd say follow the
> % >received wisdom of the protocol gods and seriously consider using some
> % >other repository instead (not that the received wisdom is always *right*,
> % >of course, but it does bear serious consideration and respect). If you're
> % >not considering any such thing, then at least this might help explain why
> % >TXT records are extremely rare...
> %
> % Earlier on the list I saw someone mention that hand-maintained zone
> % files had one benefit over DDNS: comments. I had seen the TXT records
> % mentioned so this made me wonder if they were suitable for storing
> % those comments in.
> %
> % Ken
> % mailto:shiva at well.com
> % http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
>
> Yes they are. And with a nod to Kevin, the "protocol gods" created TXT
> records and they are used extensivly.

In small pockets and proprietary ways, perhaps, but less than 0.0004% of the
queries my Internet nameservers receive are TXT queries. In fact, the combined
total of queries I get for *obsolete* record types (MG, MAILB,
WKS) substantially exceeds the number of TXT queries I get on a regular basis.
I know it's only circumstantial evidence, but it just doesn't seem like TXT is
very popular. YMMV.

- Kevin