H2N does not allow some hostnames

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Jan 3 16:50:45 UTC 2001

    Stefan> I have the problem that we have hostnames like
    Stefan> in-ste-ch-bsl-r-01-atm2-0.

Nice!

It might be better to give your hosts names that are easy to pronounce
and remember. Higher-level components of the domain name could be used
to encode information like location, organisational unit and the type
of device that the hosts belongs too. eg:
	atm0.router.sales.geneva.example.com

    Stefan> We have this in a database and
    Stefan> make an hostfile style extract and h2n convert this in to
    Stefan> a zonefile. This works fine but with the hostname above it
    Stefan> doesn't work. I found some infos that it's allowed to use
    Stefan> - (hyphens?) between characters. Has someone a Idea what
    Stefan> the problem can be?

The example name you gave is legal, so there's no reason for the name
server to reject it. Underscores are not allowed in hostnames, though
RFC2181 says name servers should not "refuse to serve a zone because
it contains labels that might not be acceptable to some DNS client
programs". If the name server is objecting, it's a bug. By default
BIND8 rejects zones containing hostnames with illegal characters. This
should be considered a feature rather than a bug. :-) If the name
isn't in the file h2n generates or if h2n is complaining, then it's a
bug in h2n.