BIND or sendmail configuration problem?

Daniel Ludin ludin at swissonline.ch
Mon Jan 1 14:38:48 UTC 2001

Hi,

I have a problem with BIND / sendmail configuration. Because I'm really new
to system administration, I can't even tell if this is really a DNS problem
or with the sendmail configuration (for this case, I apologize for dropping
the message in this forum).

Here it is:

I have BIND 8.2.2 running, and it looks like I finally managed to get it
working. Now I'm trying to also get my sendmail working, but when I try to
send a mail to myself, I get this error:

       <dani at mydomain.com>

       550 5.1.2 <dani at mydomain.com>... Host unknown (Name server:
mail.mydomain.com.: host not found)

As far as I understand, there have to be two records:

   mydomain.com.    IN    MX    20 mail.mydomain.com.
   mail.mydomain.com.    IN    A    212.254.208.245

When I do a nslookup, it looks like that:

   root# nslookup -type=MX mydomain.com

   Server:  xhost.mydomain.com
   Address:  212.254.208.245

   mydomain.com   preference = 20, mail exchanger = mail.mydomain.com
   mydomain.com   nameserver = xhost.mydomain.com
   mail.mydomain.com      internet address = 212.254.208.245
   xhost.mydomain.com     internet address = 212.254.208.245

Did I forget something in the BIND configuration? Or is this a different
(sendmail's) problem?

Dani Ludin
Bern, Switzerland