Prob. inst. BIND 9.1.3: Solaris 8 SPARC / gcc 3.0.2

Will Yardley ilovednsrelatedspam at hq.newdream.net
Wed Dec 19 20:32:06 UTC 2001

Russell Whitaker wrote:

> Please clarify: is it (to your knowledge) the case that gcc 3.0.2 is
> _distributed_ broken?  Would I be better served with 2.9.5?

i could be wrong, but i think the problem is that you're using gcc, but
you're using the assembler and other utilities in /usr/ccs/bin

probably installing the GNU binutils package from the sun freeware site
(if you haven't already) and then putting '/usr/local/bin' earlier in
your $PATH than /usr/ccs/bin should fix it.

i personally use 2.9.5 -- i'm not an expert on this, but i've heard
varying opinions of 3.0.x

> I'll repeat what I'd mentioned before, that I had indeed read the
> caveat in the BIND distro re: gcc not being supported.  Is this an
> example of why?

for 32 bit sun architectures it should be fine, but according to people
on the list (check the archives for more information) there might be
problems compiling 64 bit binaries.

i think it should compile ok regardless tho.

--
Experience -- a great teacher, but the tutition fees...