Standalone primary DNS server (without root servers)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Dec 19 01:28:41 UTC 2001

Gildas PERROT wrote:

> Hi and thanks a lot for those who answer my question. I just want to make a
> review to be sure that I correctly understood the different suggestions. If
> someone can confirm it is correct, I would be very graceful :

(At the risk of sounding rude, I think you meant to say
"grateful" (reconaissant) there, rather than "graceful" (gracieux)).

> 1) if I turn off recursion, I will not have any request to root servers and
> all of the non-answered queries will show up as "recursion denied" in logs ?
> So, I assume that I don't need to make my server to be a master for root
> zones ?

You need to set up a root zone because, as you said, you are on "a non-routed
local network". One way or another, a BIND nameserver needs access to a root
zone. If you have no access to an external root zone, you need to define one
internally.

> What kind of logs should I set to get those  "recursion denied" logs
> ?

I believe, in BIND 8 at least, these come up under the "security" category.

> 2) are there any requests sent regularly by a DNS server without any client
> requests to it ?

None that I'm aware of, assuming you're not defining any slave or stub zones.

- Kevin