BIND dying

Terrence Koeman root at mediamonks.net
Fri Dec 14 23:26:05 UTC 2001

Yes, I'd like to fix it very much, as I also think this is related. The
thing is that the server has normal TCP connectivity, and the error is
probably with BIND:

"10-Dec-2001 00:50:27.000 default: debug 3: error resending tcp msg:
Errcode: 9: Bad file descriptor"

This was sent to the bind-bugs list already.

- --
Regards,

Terrence Koeman

Technical Director/Administrator
MediaMonks B.V. (www.mediamonks.nl)

Please quote all replies in correspondence.

> On Dec 14 2001 21:23 +0100, Terrence Koeman wrote:
>
> > > named-xfer should exit by itself, I don't think that named tries
> > > to kill it, but I haven't checked the code to be sure of this.
> >
> > Well, I think the errors at the top at least indicate BIND is
> > trying to kill _something_ and fails twice.
> >
> > The only thing I can say about that is that the pid in the errors
> > often (can't say always) is the same as the pid of named.exe and
> > that named always dies right after these errors, which only differ
> > in pid each time.
> >
> > Further a named-xfer.exe process is created every second and writes
> > an information event to the eventlog. These processes seem to exit
> > by themselves.
> >
> > This is btw the same server that is unable to query other servers
> > by TCP.
> >
> > I'll let BIND run some hours on debug 4, maybe that will reveal
> > something. I wouldn't be surprised if BIND died right after some
> > TCP socket error, as this problem appeared almost at the same time
> > as the 'can't query by TCP' problem, which you forwarded to the
> > buglist.
> >
> > Let me know if you need anything.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,