refresh_callback: zone fossilbar.ch/IN: failure for 194.208.60.10#53: timed out

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Dec 14 20:06:28 UTC 2001

In article <9vdb57$j3v at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Marcel Malin <marcel.malin at schulen.li> wrote:
>Please help me,... what can this mean? Is there a problem with the master
>server or the slave server?

Usually it's either a problem with the master server or the network.  When
the slave tried to query the master server to get the SOA record, it didn't
get a response.  It could be because the master is down, it could be due to
a firewall blocking DNS packets from the slave to the master, or blocking
the responses going back to the slave.  It could be because a network
connection along the way is down.  Anything you can imagine that would
prevent a DNS query/response from succeeding could be the cause.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA