Assign ARPA a pool of address

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Fri Dec 14 17:30:03 UTC 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 09:22:51AM -0600, Scott May wrote:
> Is there a way to assign in ARPA a pool of address to one name? For instance
> I want one pool of address' to be assigned to dial-up users and another
> assigned to DSL users.

By "ARPA", I assume that you do not mean the USA Department of Defense
Advanced Research Projects Agency [which is what ARPA really is], but
reverse DNS lookups?

You may give these whatever names you want.  $GENERATE can help if you
want to do something regular for a large number of addresses.  See

E.g.,

	$GENERATE 1-127 $ PTR dial-up-$.domain.example.
	$GENERATE 128-254 $ PTR dsl-$.domain.example.

Of course, you could also use this to give them all the SAME name:

	$GENERATE 0-256 $ PTR none.of.your.fool.business.nowhere.man.

but this is hardly useful.  Usually.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B