RFC: workaround for unwanted dynamic updates

Will Yardley ilovednsrelatedspam at hq.newdream.net
Fri Dec 14 00:24:35 UTC 2001

Nate Campi wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 02:53:30PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> >
> > Prior to my implementing this fix it was not uncommon to get hit
> > with 20 failed dynamic update requests per second. The overhead of
> > processing those requests was just shredding the server. At its best
> > that server was doing 40 queries per second, currently (without the
> > dynamic updates overhead) it's doing 3 times that many qps.
>
> Do you really get shredded by 40 queries per second, or even three
> times that? Check out http://www.campin.net/DNS/index.html for some
> stats from a couple nights ago on a couple of my servers.

yeah - we get lots of those, but sine we don't use dynamic updates for
anything anyway, i just setup a null logging category.

probably not logging such requests might reduce any negative affect on
performance (although of course not logging them would make it a bit
harder to track how many you're getting).

of course we only have 20k zones so it's not in 6 figures.... but our
hardware is fairly minimal.

--
The three wise men brought frank incest and mirth.