DNS check broking sometimes

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Dec 13 16:59:45 UTC 2001

In article <9vajs2$2i6 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Ronan Lucio <ronan at melim.com.br> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have bind-8.2.3-REL installed in some clients.
>
>Usually, if I run a host -a domain.com, it returns the informations
>about such domain with mx record, soa, ns and etc.
>
>Sometimes, after a few months, the client stating don´t receiving
>mails properly and, when I run a host -a domain.com, it just
>returns the ns informations and not more a soa and mx records.

"host -a" just returns what's in your local server's cache.  If your server
happens to have all those other records cached, it will show it; if it
doesn't have anything cached, it will go to a GTLD server, which will
return the NS records, and then your local server will return them to you.

If you want to see specific types of records, ask for them explicitly.
"host domain.com" will show the A and MX records, which is usually all you
care about.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA