Query Failure.

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Dec 12 21:30:58 UTC 2001

In article <9v8b40$k7j at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Mick <no1shome at xspedius.net> wrote:
>First, let me thank you for your reply. It seems to confirm some of the
>points that I have found.
>I see that neither ns3.satellite-phones.org nor ns32.satellite-phones.org
>exists on the interland.net name servers. I can see why this would cause
>problems. But I would expect this to be a pass/fail issue. Am I wrong? Where
>might the info come from on the occasions that it does work?

They exists as glue records on the GTLD servers.  But if the TTL of the
glue records runs out before the NS records do, a server won't go to the
GTLD servers to look up these names.

>When you say "nameserver chains like the following" I am not sure what you
>mean. Please excuse my ignorance but I just don't  understand what you mean.

To look up in 1-gps.com you have to ask ns3.satellite-phones.org.  To
resolve that you have to ask dns1.interland.net.  If the chain you have to
follow to resolve the NS records gets too long, BIND gives up.  Each time
you try the lookup, more of these records will get into your nameserver's
cache, so it won't have to do as many nested queries to resolve the
request.  So this often manifests itself as a query fails the first time,
but when you try it again it succeeds.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA