Cacheing DNS [no owner]

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Sun Dec 9 03:17:35 UTC 2001

* chris.oswald <chris.oswald at ntlworld.com> said, on [011208 18:02]:
> I am having problems getting a non-forwarding cacheing dns server running.

Huh? A what? When one refers to a caching server, one is usually
referring to a server that is not authoritative for any zones, and
simply performs recursive queries on behalf of clients. Yet below you
indicate that your server is supposed to be authoritative for some
number of zones. Current best practice is to perform authoritative
service and recursive (caching) service on different machines, or at the
very least with different instances on the same machine.

> Named does run but when I do any lookups I get a status of server fail. If I
> look in /var/log/messages, when the log reports on the different zone
> this means? (I am running RedHat 7.2).

There are syntax errors in your zone files. Since you've not posted a
sample, we cannot tell exactly what they are. The most likely candidates
are: $TTL and SOA on the same line, and leading whitespace before the
SOA. Your log files should include more information. If you're running
bind 9, named-checkzone will parse the files for you and report errors.
If you would like someone here to look at your zone files, post a
complete, *UNEDITED*, sample.

--Pete