does type forward zones make BIND 8 continuously poll?

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Fri Dec 7 21:22:51 UTC 2001

> I mean if I do this:
>
> zone "foo.com" {
>         type forward;
>         forward only;
>         forwarders {
>                 10.10.10.10;
>                 192.168.1.1;
>         };
>
> and things happen in this order:
>
> -	192.168.1.1 is down
> -	BIND comes up, requests for foo.com come in, BIND frwrds them to
> 10.10.10.10
> -	10.10.10.10 goes down, 192.168.1.1 comes up, requests come in
>
> how often does BIND send SOA queies for it's RTT calcs?  any help is
> appreciated.

BIND doesn't send SOA queries to compute RTT values.  It only
queries the forwarders when it has a recursive query to reply
to and updates RTT based on the responses.

Also, note that tracking RTT for forwarders doesn't work
correctly in BIND 8 until 8.2.3, and isn't supported in BIND 9
at all.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes