Files Needed for Bind

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Dec 5 23:56:29 UTC 2001

Don't get hung up on filenames; what's important is the *contents* of the
files, not their names. I think "localhost.zone" (I've never personally
configured a zonefile with that name into any nameserver) usually
contains a definition of "localhost." (as an absolute, root-level name).
If you don't need that name, then don't bother configuring the zone. I'm
not sure what's in "named.local", but you should look at its contents and
decide whether you need that either. I'm a big fan of not cluttering up
my nameserver configurations with unnecessary crap.

- Kevin