Potential problem.

McNutt, Justin M. McNuttJ at missouri.edu
Tue Dec 4 17:27:52 UTC 2001

> >Name servers C and D are connected inside the enterprise
> firewall and accept
> >queries only from internal users.  Relay is enabled.  All
> queries for 'new'
> >stuff are relayed to servers A or B.  Servers C and D are
> slaves to server
> >Z.
>
> What is "relay"?  The word used in BIND configuration is
> "forwarding", is
> that what you mean?

Yes.  Pardon my poor terminology.  One of the other DNS admins here calls
that "relay" and I catch myself using his terms.  (slaps myself on the
hands)

> >Potential problem:  All five name servers will need NS records for
> >themselves, right?  If so, won't external name servers cache that and
> >attempt to round-robin queries among all five, and thus fail
> three out of
> >five queries?
>
> No.  You usually only need to list nameservers that are
> usable from the
> public Internet in your NS records.  Servers C and D are
> queried due to the
> resolver configurations on the internal client machines, not
> NS records, so
> NS records aren't needed.
>
> However, to ensure that C and D are updated quickly when the
> zone changes,
> you should put their addresses in Z's "also-notify" option.
> By default Z
> will only send NOTIFY messages to the servers listed in the
> NS records.

For some reason I was under the impression that the NS records were
necessary for normal DNS operations, but after looking around a bit, I
realize that they are not.  They are only used to *advertise* name services.

Many thanks for clearing that up!

--J